Are you struggling with sensitive skin? Then why not try hypoallergenic makeup. It could be the long awaited solution for endless allergies, irritations, and breakouts.
So what is hypoallergenic makeup? It is makeup that is usually preferred by people whose skin is extremely sensitive and prone to allergies and is considered to contain very minimal chemical irritants. Hypoallergenic makeup according to users and manufacturers is gentler and safer for use on the skin.
It is imperative to note that no regulations are governing the production, manufacturing, advertising and distribution of hypoallergenic makeup. Most of these companies are self-regulated, which means that a manufacturer can choose to label and advertise makeup as hypoallergenic when in a real sense it is not.
What is your skin type?
Before embarking on a particular choice of makeup, you should first know your skin type to determine what works for you.
You can choose to visit your dermatologist to help identify your skin type or research online, (it has a wide variety of information on skin types).
Universally, there are five known skin types.
||This skin type has good circulation and requires very minimal It is usually smooth and supple and when tapped with a piece of paper or tissue will leave no oil traces.
||Dry skin is quite the opposite of normal. This skin type feels flaky, dry and tight. It is in most cases prone to aging and irritations. It also leaves no oil traces on paper.
||Sensitive skin is skin that is susceptible to allergies and irritations. It may be caused by an allergic reaction, skin disorder or diseases and damage by chemical irritants. Sensitive skin type requires ultra-care when handling.
||Oily skin known for being too problematic especially to maintain. It will leave spots of oil on the tissue,particularly from the forehead, nose, and cheeks. It is however not prone to aging.People with oily skin should consider using hypoallergenic Non-comedogenic makeup (makeup that won’t clog their pores).
||this a mix of dry and oily skins. This skin type tends to have traces of oil on the forehead and nose mostly but dry on the cheek area. Combination skin requires more than one skin care routine. You need to care for different parts of the skin differently.
With your skin type in mind, it is important to make wise decisions when it comes to settling on a makeup brand. Most manufacturers lure customers into buying makeup products that pose potential harm to their skin. So it is crucial to be familiar with popular and trusted brands so that you do not get fooled by beautiful packaging and deceptive labels.
Below is a popular and time-tested hypoallergenic makeup brands list
- Boots– boots hypoallergenic makeup includes creams, lipsticks, foundation, powders, and serums all which are comfortable for use with people of all skin types. It is a makeup brand in Britain that is very popular with its wide range of hypoallergenic makeup lines like the boots no .
- Neutrogena- Neutrogena products are most suited for people with eye irritations and dry eyes. It has a full range of exceptional safe to use line of eye cosmetics.
- Almay- known for its dermatologically tested eye line of products, Almay is one brand that has proven its authenticity in the makeup and cosmetics It is an excellent choice for eye makeup especially for users with delicate eye problems. Their eyeliners, mascara, and eye shadows can be found mostly in drugstores and cosmetics stores.
- L’Oreal- l’oreal is a French-based cosmetics brand that has been present for a very long time. It has proven to be trustworthy with its variety of hypoallergenic makeup. L’Oreal is a brand that you can build trust with blindly and without worrying of a disappointment.
- Physicians Formula- Physicians Formula is a manufacturer of all range of hypoallergenic cosmetics and skin care products. It is known for being a high quality and all serving brand. Its products range from lipstick, hypoallergenic makeup foundation, Non- Comedogenic cosmetics and much.
You can read more at : A Deep Look At Natural Cosmetics
The self-patch test to avoid allergenic
This is a test conducted on a small part of your skin to determine your skins compatibility with a particular skin care product. This patch test is essential for every user looking to introduce a new product on their skin. As a matter of fact, if you have sensitive skin, you should do a skin test to determine what, in particular, is your skin allergic to.
You realize that you cannot be running to your dermatologist with each and every makeup product you buy for testing. It is even harder to treat a skin reaction/allergy if you do not know the particular ingredient your skin is allergic to. That is why in this segment, you will learn how to conduct a self-patch test at home.
Choose a small area of your skin for testing. Usually, you need to use a part whose skin is thinner that the rest of the body. For example the inside of your wrist or on the upper neck.
Take a small amount of the skin care product and apply as prescribed on the part that you choose to use.
Cover the patch with either a bandage or anything let that will not wipe away the product.
If your skin reacts to the product mostly with a pinkish blemish, then consider it incompatible. However, if after 24 hours there appears to be no reaction, then you are good to go. The product is safe for use.
How to cure damaged skin caused by harmful cosmetics
Like I said before, not all cosmetics with the label hypoallergenic qualifies as a safe to use skin care product. If your skin is sensitive,be extremely careful with the product you put on your skin. Some of the cosmetics paraded in the market today contain very harmful chemical ingredients.
On the positive side, you can always do something to get your skin back to shape or its usual self. However, you need to diagnose the particular cause of the damage to proceed onto a curative regime. Here is a sample “Do It Yourself” routine to cure damaged skin;
- Adopt and maintain a balanced diet – research shows that a larger percentage of how our skin looks and feels likes is purely because of what we eat. So, it is important to ensure that your diet is balanced and healthy. Incorporate foods rich in vitamins and healthy mineral like vitamin A which is known for its skin repairing abilities.
- Drink a lot of Constant body hydration is essential to a healing skin this is because the body tends to use much water when in repair mode.
- Apply healing gels like Aloe Vera and silicone. Aloe Vera helps to reduce inflammations and also heals skin burns. You can use the natural aloe plant or get ready Aloe Vera gel from your chemist. Similarly, silicone gel is also good for damaged skin. It helps in healing wounds on the skin.
- You can also use deep penetrating healing oils like castor oil, coconut oil or olive oil.
- Lastly, exercise The skin takes time to heal, so be patient and let it heal slowly but surely.
Removing makeup and fostering skin.
At the end of the day, you have to remove all makeup on your face before going to bed; this is to allow your skin breath and avoid clogged pores the next day. There are various ways of removing makeup from the skin. You can wash it off using ordinary soap and water, use home remedies like baby oil or opt for a makeup remover to ease the process.
Baby oils can be a good option to remove makeup from the skin but then, skin experts argue that baby oils tend to clog pores on the skin which indeed lead to breakouts. Regular soap and water are okay, but the type of soap also matters. Some soaps will dry your face while some will cause irritations. Makeup removers, on the other hand, have similar outcomes, some are good some bad. For sensitive skin, consider using hypoallergenic makeup removers like Almay oil-free eye makeup remover or Neutrogena oil-free eye makeup remover.
Besides using manufactured make-up removers, you can use your won handmade make- up remover. Have you ever thought of what more the milk in your fridge could do? Mix fresh milk with a considerable amount of almond oil and apply it on your face using a washcloth. This mixture will remove all make-up from your skin and leave it fresh and clean. Also, it will leave your skin very much hydrated and full of moisture which is essential for healthy skin.
All the above are ways to remove dirt and makeup from the skin but then is it really working with your skin? The skin being the most sensitive part of the body is prone to harm by even the tiniest of things. Therefore, whatever you decide on when it comes to getting rid of that makeup let it be safe, and the aftermath should feel comfortable.